Thursday, November 08, 2007

Wild on the Prairie

The mighty Cub Scouts of Pack 280, Den 1, did a road trip to the Neal Smith Wildlife Refuge last Saturday. Normally their Den Leader, Vickie, would have accompanied them, but as it was her birthday, I filled in so she could stay in bed.



The Cubs had been there before, but not me. The refuge features an elaborate visitors center that includes exhibits on the lost prairie ecosystem, and a theater that shows a pretty good movie about the prairie.



After soaking up what the visitor center had to offer, the scouts ventured out into the 5000+ acre restored prairie.



It features an Indian wikiup, or something. I hope this was the summer model.




A neat place. With a bit of imagination you can glimpse a bit of what our pioneers would have seen - the high grass, unbroken by road or corn, endlessly to the horizon.

3 Comments:

Blogger Peggy said...

I like a bit of tall prairie grass. It seems as though Rob is growing as fast as Iowa prairie grass. He seems to be the tallest in his tribe/troop/den now.

2:26 PM  
Blogger Joe said...

I didn't realize how tall he looks compared to the other kids. Sean, his friend in the den who didn't make the outing, is a bit taller, but I think Bobby will be the tallest one in the family when he's done growing.

6:53 PM  
Blogger retta said...

Looks like a cool outing!

9:10 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home