June 6 garden update
As promised, an update on the progress of the garden.
I like radishes because they grow fast, giving instant gratification, but the onions have them beat. I planted sets two weeks ago and I picked and ate one today. I will pick green onions as they are ready, but leave a few to grow full size.
Every item is now planted, with the exception of a last batch of sweet corn to go in two weeks from now. Assuming the sweet corn works out, this will give us some fresh corn into September. As I have never succeeded in growing sweet corn, success is a big assumption. So far, so good.
I've put a lot of work into rodent mitigation this year. This is the mitigated corn patch:
I have another bed with radishes, carrots and onions:
I like radishes because they grow fast, giving instant gratification, but the onions have them beat. I planted sets two weeks ago and I picked and ate one today. I will pick green onions as they are ready, but leave a few to grow full size.
I planted carrots for the first time last year. The crop wasn't great, but the ones that made it were amazing. I had no idea that carrots could taste that good. I am trying out some weird "heritage" seeds. Why go through the trouble of gardening for something that looks like it comes from the store? No instant gratification with carrots, though.
I've had my best luck in past years with tomatoes, so I have 12 plants going, about evenly split between full-size and cherry/grape tomatoes. On the north end of the box I have planted to cucumbers to grow up a trellis. I tried those once before, in the terrible Japanese Beetle year, where I lost almost everything. Both tomatoes and cucumbers are doing well so far.
The last garden box has okra and pole beans. The rodents wrecked my first attempt, but now that I have covered them, they are coming along:
I'm no Peggy, but I may actually have some good veggies this year. Knock wood.











2 Comments:
Hey! It's looking good! The stuff you planted late will catch up. Plants are amazing that way!
Dang, looks great!
Post a Comment
<< Home