Old Friends
One fun thing about the Uncle Jay and Aunt Laney's 65th Anniversary Bash was the chance to see some of the grown-ups of my childhood. A lot of them have known my mom and her family since they were kids. Like Knute and Brush Jefson:

As long as I can remember, they have lived in the house across the street from my parents. They go way back with my mom and Uncle Jay, back to the farm days. Their kids were our playmates as kids, and they let me wander into their house and read their cool encyclopedias. Good people.

Sara and Al Hancock were grown-ups at the little grocery store I worked at from grade school through college. Sara's father, Art Welton, owned the store, and Sara was always a boss. She kept the books, if memory serves, and put up with more nonsense from me and my work cohorts than I care to remember. I always remember them as grown ups, but they look hardly older than me, so they must have been very young when they were supervising me.

Martha is Sara's sister. She worked in the store, too, but less so as I got older. I mistook her for another sister, Nancy, at the party, but she took it well.
Bobby thought it funny that Sara and Martha still call me "Joey."
Chatting with Sara and Martha, I found out one of the other high-school kids I worked with at the store - a niece of theirs - lives here in Iowa in the next little suburb over, maybe a mile or two away, and has three kids. I'm surprised I haven't run into her at a school event, or a store, or something. Then again, remembering what I was like in high school, she probably has run into me and quickly gone the other way before I could notice.

This picture shows (from right to left) Jack Sonnenberg; Marge Sonnenberg, my Mom's college roommate at Milwaukee State Teacher's College - now University of Wisconsin - Milwaukee - and their daughter, Amy. I think I was in high school before I found out they weren't actually relatives. They came down from Wisconsin for the party, and it was great to see them.
I can't wait for the next big happy relative get-together!
As long as I can remember, they have lived in the house across the street from my parents. They go way back with my mom and Uncle Jay, back to the farm days. Their kids were our playmates as kids, and they let me wander into their house and read their cool encyclopedias. Good people.
Sara and Al Hancock were grown-ups at the little grocery store I worked at from grade school through college. Sara's father, Art Welton, owned the store, and Sara was always a boss. She kept the books, if memory serves, and put up with more nonsense from me and my work cohorts than I care to remember. I always remember them as grown ups, but they look hardly older than me, so they must have been very young when they were supervising me.
Martha is Sara's sister. She worked in the store, too, but less so as I got older. I mistook her for another sister, Nancy, at the party, but she took it well.
Bobby thought it funny that Sara and Martha still call me "Joey."
Chatting with Sara and Martha, I found out one of the other high-school kids I worked with at the store - a niece of theirs - lives here in Iowa in the next little suburb over, maybe a mile or two away, and has three kids. I'm surprised I haven't run into her at a school event, or a store, or something. Then again, remembering what I was like in high school, she probably has run into me and quickly gone the other way before I could notice.
This picture shows (from right to left) Jack Sonnenberg; Marge Sonnenberg, my Mom's college roommate at Milwaukee State Teacher's College - now University of Wisconsin - Milwaukee - and their daughter, Amy. I think I was in high school before I found out they weren't actually relatives. They came down from Wisconsin for the party, and it was great to see them.
I can't wait for the next big happy relative get-together!


0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home